Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 12:54:55 -0400
ardeith l carter posted:
>>Gatorade used to satisfy me when I was
hot and thirsty.....Is there a commercial mix that you all find
useful?  Or possible you could suggest
things I could mix myself?

My reply:
I don't think it is wise to consume any commerical drinks or fortified brews
for thirst (other than iced herbal tea, perhaps sweetened with licorice root
or stevia).  You don't need any special blend or fortified drink to quench
thirst or replace electrolytes.  Eating generous amounts of fresh fruits and
vegetables should provide the potassium, sodium, and other minerals you
need.  Adding salt to your fruit or veggie juices or teas is not a good
idea.  We need many times more potassium than sodium.

It has been estimated that paleo people ate 16 parts potassium to one part
sodium.  This and similar ratios have been found among modern day HGs.   Our
sodium needs are apparently very small and easily met by eating whole foods
such as veggies, fruits, unprocessed meats, eggs, etc.

Rachel