From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:19:53 -0500
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Jim Swayze wrote:

> I believe that satiation is the key.  When Ray says you can eat all you
> "want", he assumes that you will not continue to eat when you're full.
> You've taken "want" into another realm when you've done that.

I agree that satiation is the key.  But Ray assumes -- falsely --
that eating paleo foods to satiety will not cause weight gain.
This is irresponsible, because the claim is made in the total
absence of supporting evidence.  Some people -- and I am one --
do not feel "full" until they have eaten too much, of certain
foods, anyway.  I don't claim to be able to explain that, but
it's clear enough, both from my own experience and that of others
here.

For some of us, "all you want, whenever you want" means not going
hungry.  Next month, it will be five years that I have been doing
various forms of paleo -- ultra-strict, low-carb, moderate-carb,
not-so-strict, all-meat, high-fat, high-protein, etc.  What I
have learned is that to get sustained weight loss, and to
maintain even 15% body fat, I must eat *less* than I want, and in
particular I must avoid eating after dinner.  That is, I must go
hungry in the evenings.  I don't know why I get hungry in the
evenings, but I do.  If I consistently yield to that hunger, I
gain weight.

Todd Moody