From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:45:27 -0500
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:15 Paleogal wrote:

> [...]

Close.  Cordain recommends meat as it was in the Pleistocene.
Unfortunately, grass-fed meat today is far from Pleistocene.  The animals
are still often fed growth-stimulating hormones and antibiotics and, worse
still, lead a couch potato life.  Today's Bos taurus has a fat profile [in
terms of both SFA:MUFA:PUFA and in terms of absolute proportions on the
boby] quite unlike the fat profiles of a Bos taurus in the Pleistocene.

Please give Loren a go!  The Weston-Price people have gone overboard in
intemperate criticism.  Pity, as they are actually so close (why is it
that internicine wars are often the bitterest and most vindictive!).  See
Cordain's own website and read some of his papers:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/

I don't agree with all Loren says, either, but he has done a great job
with his book, brought thousands into the paleo fold and given us a
benchmark.

I came agross organic lamb the other day which had been fed organic grains
to see the animals through the drought - grains in early spring!  When
there's no drought, the animals from the farm in question live on grass in
wide open pastures.  Their meat still counts as organic, which is usually
a safe equivalent of Paleo, but not always.

I eat a lot of kangaroo which is all from wild animals, still living in a
Pleistocene state.  My hens run free and live on grass, worms, bugs and a
small supplement of (organic) wheat.

Keith