From:
Isaac Wedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:58:52 -0800
--- Hans Kylberg wrote:
> A diet low in carbos and low in energy ("calories"),
> as it usually is
> among H/Gs, together with breastfeading for 3-5
> years, supresses
> ovulation, which does not start until there is a
> sufficient fat
> reserve for another pregnancy.

Generally the highest fertility rates today are found
in the poorest countries. These are the same countries
where you'll find the lowest average daily caloric
intakes. Countries with the highest average caloric
intakes have the lowest fertility rates. (the World
Bank has statistics on this) Since both high- and
low-income, I assume, are on high-carb diets today, I
think it's safe to say that a high-carb diet alone
isn't resulting in high fertility rates. I wonder how
breastfeeding varies between rich and poor countries?

Isaac (really, I'm just lurking!)