Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:41:51 -0400
Amadeus made a post recently in regard to Phillip Thrift's diet; I didn't
save the post but I recall Amadeus saying that Thrift's daily diet (approx.
3 1/2 lbs. lean poultry, beef and pork) contained 280 grams of fat.  There
must be an error in the food charts you are using.  The charts I have
consulted show that poultry breast contains 1 gram of fat per ounce.  So, 1
1/2 lbs. of chick. breast (24 oz). would contain 24 grams of fat.

The lean steak noted (in Thrift's diet as well as my post on Laura's lean
beef) indicated a fat content of about 4-4.5 grams of fat per 4-ounces of
uncooked lean cuts of steak (that's 1-1.25 gram fat per oz. If Thrift ate
1.5 lbs. (24 oz.) per day of that steak he'd get 24-36 grams of fat from
that.

So far, Thrift would be eating 48-60 grams of fat from the 1.5 lbs. of chik
breast and 1.5 lbs. of lean steak.  I don't know the figures( by heart) for
pork tenderloin since I rarely eat pork so I've not taken to memorizing it's
nutritional profile, but I HIGHLY DOUBT that that would put Thrift's diet up
to 280 grams of fat per day!!  Thrift admits to eating only tiny amounts of
nuts and taking fish oil (if I recall correctly) and he has said that he
cooks those without adding oil and that he doesn't use free oils (as I
recall again).

To say that Thrift's diet contains a deadly amount of sat. fat and
cholesterol does not sound accurate to me.
By my estimation Thrift eats less fat than many vegans, vegetarians, and
typical Americans and his diet appears to be free of processed
(polyunsaturated, hydrogenated, and partially hydrogenated) oils which are
the biggest threats to health.

Rachel Matesz