Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:16:22 -0500
Mark, We used to go to my in-laws for Christmas Eve which involved a
Ukrainian meal linked to religious traditions and full of high carb foods I
did not even like!  I ended up eating the food because I was hungry.

These are the strategies that worked for me once I decided to be proactive:
1. Treat myself in a special way the day of or even the day before the trip
by allowing myself to pig out on "legal" treats and fatty foods which appeal
to me.  Before we left to drive the 2 1/2 hours I would make and eat a huge
fatty steak for example.
2. Carry protein and fat laden foods with me to eat in the car- these can
vary but can include precooked meats, nuts, etc.

Then, I was too full to be interested in eating the carb foods and I could
resist the cookies.

Paula H.