From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 20:16:20 MDT
Mary wrote:

>My problem is to find a reliable source of grass fed fat for his pemmican.

Hi, Mary!

I haven't tried this yet, but a fellow gym-member tells me that here in
Denver there is a butcher who cuts the kill of metro hunters.  When people
don't pick up thier orders, he sells the meat to whoever's interested.  Even
if people DID come pick up thier cut-'n-wrapped goodies, I'm sure a lot of
fat goes down the drain (or wherever it is they put it).  Have you tried
calling area meat processors to see which ones cut and wrap field kill?
While hunting clubs may not be listed in the phone book, your state's
wildlife department should at least be able to point you in the right
direction.  Many deer hunters go for the thrill and never eat the kill.  It
shouldn't be hard to find someone ready and willing to sell his kill for a
fair price.  They'd probably give you fat & gristle for free.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO