From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:11:04 +0900
> > Hunting can be pretty energetic, even if you are not running after
> > animals. Try it some time.
>
> Yes. I remember seeing a film once about modern hunters in africa. They
> wounded a giraffe with a spear or arrow, as I recall, and spent an
> entire day chasing it until it collapsed from loss of blood. I suspect
> that could have been a common modus operendi for paleo hunters who
> lacked the kill power of high powered rifles.

Still is. Even a well shot deer, which isn't a big animal, will
sometimes run a  mile before bedding down to die. Hunters are advised
to let the animal go and wait half an hour, it will stop sooner if it
is not chased, then lie down to die. Packing a dead deer a mile out of
the woods to the truck is work. Aerobic and anaerobic. In Africa large
game like buffalo often has to be chased into the brush after taking
hits from large caliber bullets.

 , you
> and your buddies might have spent an intense 20 minutes or so jabbing
> at the arteries while dodging its horns to finish the job.

Hunting wild pigs with bow, spear or knife is still  popular in some
parts of America. I do not think PETA messes around with those guys
much. Not more than once anyway. Sorta like how they don't tell Hells
Angels how evil wearing leather is  ;--)

> > Likely true. My college coach had us running up to 15 miles a day

Wanna know how crazy this guy was? He didn't let us DRINK! Well he
didn't put it like that. He just had us train so far away from the
water fountain that we couldn't get there for more than a seconds
quick swallow. He wouldn't unlock the gate so we had to climb a chain
link fence to get to the water fountain between sets. He brought
gatorade for his drafted runners, but anyone not on the first team, he
said there wasn't money in the budget for. So we didn't even get water
usually. We were too young and dumb to know that a few letters to the
Dean or the local newspaper would have solved the problem. I would sue
the guy if I caught him treating my kids that way now. That on top of
the ridiculously high training levels, it doesn't surprise me that he
couldn't keep a team together a whole season. I have heard horror
stories from other college runners similar to mine, it is common I
think. 20 years later it still makes me furious.