From:
Sharrhan Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 11:00:11 EST
Hi there fellow Paleo-listers--
   I'm new to this list, but have been lurking for a long time and always
enjoy the thoughtful exchanges that almost always take place here.  I've
been eating a mostly Paleo-diet for a long time; am always interested in
reading people's "daily menus" for interesting ideas on how to interpret
what is Paleo and what works.
   In the past I've tried just about everything.  I was a raw food vegan for
many years, till I realized I was not thriving. I've tried some of the more
commercial low carb regimens (Atkins, Protein Power), but Paleo appeals to
my desire to have as much of my food as possible in the natural state, and
allows me plenty of vegetables, usually raw.  I don't eat too much fruit,
even though I'd like to, because I get a definite insulin response.
   My two points of departure are a) that I have trouble giving up coffee,
and b) that I periodically will get out my juicer and drink vegetable
(greens mostly) juice for a few days to rejuvenate.
   I note with interest that many on this board have tried raw meat.  I
don't have the stomach for that yet, plus I have some reservations based on
my mother's many anecdotes about falling ill with a tape worm from eating
raw meat as a child, and my husband's admonitions about fish being full of
parasites.  (He's caught and cleaned them, so he knows.)  So I'm planning to
get a dehydrator and dry my own meat, with the thought that this is the next
best thing?!
   Looking forward to sharing feedback and ideas in the future. Sharrhan