From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:33:43 -0700
Heidle-ee ho, neighboreenos!  So I saw The Man yesterday and here's what he
recommends:

-> 60g protein/day, max; 55g/day if I can, NO MORE THAN 15G @ MEAL/SNACK
-> as many ultra-low carb veggies I like
-> as little saturated fat as possible but all the good fats I please

-> protein sources; skinless chicken, fish, wild game, Eggland's Best eggs,
raw nuts (you roast, low and slow, yourself if you like) and, if you just
can't do without 'em, certain low-fat/no-fat cheeses
-> we all know which veggies are ultra-low in carbs
-> oils; olive, avacado and almond (probably a few others not handy)

Long/short, too much protein per meal/snack can lead to glucose conversion
and an insulin spike, as most of us know/have heard.  In the simplest of
terms, saturated fat interferes with cell linings' ability to properly
process insulin.  Another problem is rancid fats - I can't remember the whys
and wherefores, but they're bad news so avoid.  That's why they say roast
nuts at no more than 200 degrees; too much heat = rancidity.  That said,
hydrogenation = rancidity; we know that, too.  The fats recommended
(especially olive oil) can go relatively high with low/no risk of rancidity,
thus the recommendation.  Cold flax and hemp oils also urged for various
nutrient bonuses, including Omega 3 fatty acids.  I walked out with a
veritable cornucopia of supplements (magnesium, potassium, CoQ10, etc., no
magical beans) but I haven't gotten there yet; too busy making time to
breathe!  I'll start that tomorrow or tonight, if I'm lucky.

If this sounds tough, here's what I ate today and, at 6:10 PM, I feel fine
and dandy.  Oh, yeah, stop eating at least 3 hours before bedtime and
exercise between the last meal and bedtime; if your body's in the
fat-burning mode when you hit the hey, she goes into overdrive.  I can tell
by the taste in my mouth that I'm already there.  Ennyhoo...

two hard-boiled eggs (12g prot) and half an avacado
1 hard-boiled egg (6g prot) and half an avacado
2 oz pecans (14g I think, may be less)
2 oz pork, 1 small onion, a portabella mushroom stir fried in olive oil

I know, pork has saturated fat but I'd already opened the package and I'm
low on food and dough (as it were) right now; I couldn't afford NOT to eat
that pork.  Ennyhoo, I'm not hugry at ALL.  In fact, I feel guilty for
having cooked up a whole onion; I could've gone with less.  I've only had
about 46g protein and only one rumble of ol' Mr. Tummy all the livelong day
and my egg and avacado took care of that post haste.

Those are the basics with a few finer points but hey, life's short, so I
left 'em out.  Remember, this is Ron Rosedale's method so please, don't
shoot the messenger.  I'd trust this guy with my life and he gets the job
DONE, people!  I'll get test results by the end of the week; it'll be
interesting to see how bad my fasting insulin levels are.

Last thing.  I drank a &$%# gallon of water in an effort to plump up my
veins; it didn't work.  It took a good 10 minutes (after a zillion needle
pokes) to get a mere 2 vials of blood!  Why?  Because I was FREEZING!
Clearly, my low thyroid; my fingertips are blue while others sit
comfortably.  With low circulation due to the 'cold', I was basically
dripping mud.  I'd never seen it that bad!

Okay, one more.  Ron says my high prolactin, low free T3 hormone and other
(female) hormonal inconsistencies are the effect, not the cause.  As in, my
insulin problems are the root cause of both my excess weight AND the
hormonal imbalances vs. bad hormones = excess weight.  It all comes down to
insulin.  What was funny was when the doc I saw before Ron started telling
me some basics, i.e. what insulin is for; I kindly informed her I knew ALL
about that - go deeper, please.  I mentioned a couple of books and whatnot
and her eyes all but popped out of her head.  I'm proud to say I was smarter
than she thought.  Don't you love it when you can say that?

Dori Zook
Denver, CO