From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:57:37 -0600
Todd> Incidentally, there is simply no rationale for categorizing sweet
potatoes as non-paleo.  These tubers are *completely* edible raw, in
whatever quantity you like.

You CAN eat just about any food raw.  Anything you get at McDonald's or
Burger King COULD be eaten raw.  But "edible" raw means to me that it's a
PREFERRED food source raw rather than a starvation item, that as a
pre-neolithic person you'd choose to put it on your table along with your
game meat, wild berries, and such.  I'm just not conviced that
pre-neolithic man would choose sweet potatoes, but I'll take your word for
it.

On your other comments, I am going to go do a little rereading of Ray
tonight.  My original understanding was that he advocates the foreign
protein theory over what I've called a fat/calorie calculus.  But I'm not
so sure that that is the case.  Why, then, would he argue for the
consumption of lean meat and low-sugar fruit to lose weight?  I'll bet he's
assuming both.

One more question, though, Todd.  Weight's not the only benefit of paleo
eating, and I'm lucky in that it is not something I've personally had to
worry about on Ray's version of paleo.  I've lost about 20 pounds without
having to trying too hard.  When you were strictly adhering to Ray's
version of the diet, did you experience any of the other benefits
(disappearance in allergies, sore joints, fatigue, gas, bloating, sinus
infections, cold sores, depression)?  Because when I try Cordain's low fat
approach, I lose the energy levels.  And when I cheat, as he allows if not
downright recommends, I get the allergies, soreness, gas, cold sores, and
depression.  Not to mention severe cravings for what Ray calls "forbidden
fruits."

Jim Swayze
Business Analyst
Integrated Decision Support System