From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:36:06 +0900
rick and/or linda strong wrote:

> I have strong reservations as to anything "veal" b/c of my assumption that
> veal is an industrial product realized by the strict confinement of a calf
> for the  technical production of an anemic calf yielding,

Veal is anemic because all young milk fed animals are anemic, even
humans. It is part of mother natures wisdom, iron stimulates bacteria
growth, so naturally low iron milk keeps gut bacterial overgrowth down
and may even help prevent other kinds of infections. That may be part
of why formula fed babies get more infections, too much iron.

Veal calves are confined to a pen, but from what I have seen are
otherwise treated well. The are kept in a quiet low stress environment
and given as much food, milk, as they want. True they are not wild,
living free in some veldt, but that is what domestication is. I have
read that high end veal calves, the most expensive, are kept in very
small pens that severely limit movement, I would not buy that product,
seems like going too far to me. I don't have any rational limit to
what I accept though, I love goose liver paste and those animals are
in a sad state, though they seem to like it.