From:
Kristina Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 05:48:36 -0500
Hi All!

Has anybody here dealt with hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) and if so,
how did you get rid of it? After every meal I was suffering from abdominal
distention (about 7 inches), low back aches, and water retention. I also
noticed undigested food in my stool. Finally an osteopath recommended
betaine hydrochloric acid which I started taking Friday. That was the first
day in many months that I had no symptoms after eating and it was so
incredibly wonderful.

Anyway, the doc said to increase by one pill with each meal until I feel a
burning sensation, and no more than 10 per meal. I am up to 7 per meal now
without any burning which I suppose indicates that my stomach is making
little or no acid when I eat. While the pills are great, I would like to
figure out what is causing this problem and how I can get rid of it.

I searched the archives but did not find much on the subject.

And secondly, would some of you, particularly the women, mind sharing a
typical day's meals. If you could, include rough quantities. I am wondering
if I need to change my food intake at all.

Thanks in advance,
Kristina