From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:19:06 -0800
Neoteny would be the most likely explanation for this.  Neoteny ( the retention of juvenile traits into adulthood) is what separates wolves from dogs, grass from grains, and modern humans from earlier Hominids.  Neoteny is the most common form of mutation found in both plants and animals.  Neotenized modern humans are said to have Down's Syndrome.

Ray Audette