From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 09:38:57 -0500
I have some questions for the list about the two oils and supplementation
with them.

1. I think that flaxseed oil has omega3 fatty acids that the body must
convert into DHA, while fish oil contains DHA already. So fish oil is more
"potent" becuase of its more direct help to the body. The conversion of w3
to DHA is apparently inefficient. Is this correct?

2. Supplementing with flaxseed oil can improve the ratios of w6 to w3, so
when you eat nuts and cook with olive oil you are getting a more balanced
fat ratio. Comments?

3. In my experience, flaxseed oil goes bad very quickly. I freeze it and
then squeeze the bottle and it comes out a little like toothpaste. This
keeps it good for as long as I have a given bottle, while in the 'fridge it
goes bad very quickly. Bad oil has a bitter taste and causes you to burp up
a lot. QUESTION: I never see fish oil frozen or refrigerated where it is
sold. The capsules are never chilled either. Why doesn't the fish oil go
bad? If you treated flaxseed oil this way, it would be rancid without a
doubt. So what keeps better with fish oil?

4. What keeps the fish oil from going bad in the fish? Do fish have powerful
anti-oxidants along with the oil? I believe that vitamin E is found in nuts
but not common in animal tissue. Any comments?

Thanks very much for your assistance, O Paleo List People!

--Richard