From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:11:56 -0500
On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Andy wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Todd Moody wrote:
>
> > They also claim that, based
> > again on Dr. Lutz's clinical experience, they have not seen much
> > additional benefit from reducing carbs below 72g.  This, I'm
> > sure, can vary from person to person, however.
>
> As a prescription for the overweight this may be fine, but generally I remain
> unconvinced that a persons carbohydrate tolerance is independent of their age,
> gender, size, body composition, activity level and energy intake.

I agree, and there are probably genetic factors as well.  There
are undoubtedly some people who do quite well on high-carb diets,
even apart from these factors.  I think that the point that Allan
and Lutz are making is that 72g/day is a point of diminishing
returns for most people.  That is, further reduction in most
cases doesn't accomplish much.  Obviously there are some whose
experience may suggest otherwise.  And of course there can be
confounding psychosomatic variables.  An interesting discussion
of this is at

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/319/7205/304

> This 'one size fits all' approach seems too simplistic.

I agree.

Todd Moody