Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:33:21 +0100
>When I was a child in the 50's, we had a paperback book which I remember
>being called "Sight Without Glasses."

Perhaps The Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses?
Unfortunately for me, I didn't find this or related material until my late
thirties.

The copy I have is a revised edition, "Now in Paperback, Eye Chart
Enclosed," and has an original copyright date of 1940, a year before I was
born.  Published by Henry Holt and Co. NY, ISBN 0-8050-0241-3  The author
is William H. (Horatio) Bates, who died in 1931, his work was finished by
Emily Bates.

>I was mildly myopic when I was 10, and was stuck into glasses, and by
>wearing them most of the time my myopia got much worse,

Sometime around the sixth grade, I was tested for myopia (I wasn't paying
too much attention to class *they* thought) and glasses were prescribed,
supposedly for "correction."  A decade and a few years, in the Navy, I was
told by doctors that I probably would not be wearing glasses now if I was
given eye excercises then, and followed them. This book and other
information kinda confirms this.

A sidebar for heavy computer users, it is recommended by modern pundits to
focus beyond your video monitor for a minute or two every 15 minutes or so.
 This keeps the eye muscles in use and allows for eye "accommodation" when
adjusting to focusing at different distances.  Accommodation is a problem
for many in later years, usu. after forty years when eye excercises do less
good.  Another reason to stay young.

This thread seems a little bit off topic to me, but very paleo in the
self-reliant sense.  I also like to see what I am eating! If I lived this
long 40,000 years ago I doubt that eyesight problems would be my chief
concern.  But if so, then, likely, I'd be far-sighted and have to watch
television from afar.

I guess this is longish too, sorry.

Thomas