From:
"Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:50:42 -0600
I did hear on the radio about a recent study linking vitamin D defficiency with colds/flu. It made sense when they mentioned that cold/flu seasons seem to coincide with seasons of reduced sunlight.

>Two perspectives on this.  One is that the body WANTS to clean out by
>producing mucous and other symptoms, etc.

I'm with Theta on this. I would say once per year I get a case of the "sniffles". It usually seems to happen when I'm really exhausted and am lacking sleep for whatever reason. When it happens, I just grin and bear it rather than running off to the local pharmacy for the latest, greatest cold remedy. And, I think that improves the recovery process a bit.

I also agree with the good doctor (Bernarr) about lightly fasting or reducing food intake, although for different reasons than the tired-old "toxemia" theory. My thinking is that my body is trying to fend off the virus - why make it work harder by continuing to eat as though nothing is wrong? Lighten the load on the digestive system and let the immune system take care of business.

>A third perspective is from the observation that viruses (virii?) come
>from the interaction of the solar wind with a planet or comet that has
>passed between the Earth and Sun.

Wow. Please, do tell us where this theory comes from.