From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:16:48 -0500
On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Marylee wrote:

> It seems my diet philosophy is different, however.  I do not always concern
> myself with calorie counting, but if I begin to gain weight, I revert to
> counting calories.  I also count grams of carbohydrates just to satisfy my
> curiosity.  When wanting to lose weight, I keep my calorie intake below
> 2000 calories a day (moderately active, 5'5" female).  I average about 1800
> calories a day.  Some days I eat up to 2200, and other days I eat 1600
> calories, but I do not restrict calories too much, because for me, it is
> not sustainable.  I have also found that I cannot successfully restrict
> carbohydrates for an extended period.  Some days I eat only 5 grams of
> carbohydrates.  Other days, I eat 120 grams of carbs.  Within these
> guidelines and adhering to a paleodiet, I eat whatever types of foods I
> want.

Our philosophies are not that different.  The trick appears to be
either to count calories or to find a way to limit them without
counting, and also without limiting them too much.  The Anchell
diet, for example, enabled me to do this, although it is indeed
more monotonous than I can deal with over the long haul.

> I contribute the success I have experienced regarding my blood lipid
> profile to the advice of Loren Cordain to eat only lean meat from grain fed
> animals, and eat grass fed meat whenever possible (daily for me).  When I
> add oil to my diet, I use only nut, avocado, olive, and fish oils.  This
> philosophy has helped me develop dietary guidelines that do not create
> cravings, and that I can live with for the long term.

I am still fine-tuning, but I believe that something of the sort
is what I will end up with.

Todd Moody