From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:34:32 +1000
At 11:24 +1000 2/3/1999, B.Lischer wrote:

> I am
>curious as to how a low carb, paleo-diet would affect the type 1 diabetic.

I had a very old great-uncle who was a type 1 diabetic. I don't know a
great deal about the disease, but I know how my uncle lived.

He used to use insulin twice daily, and claimed the injections were the
minimum dose his doctor would prescribe.

Over years of trial-and-error he had adopted a diet that was close to a
Paleo diet. He ate lots of meat (generally rare beef and lamb), and
claimed that meat didn't upset his diabetes. He tended to eat low-carb
vegetables, and religiously avoided fruit, grain and dairy.

His family thought he was just using his diabetes as an excuse to be fussy
with his food, but it now seems to me that he was on the right track.

He lived into his 90's, and was an active gardner all his life. He used to
go out for a stroll around his garden after every meal because it "aided
his digestion". In the end his eyesight failed, and he died shortly after.

Yours sincerely,
Richard Archer.