From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:57:58 +0900
On Monday, October 24, 2005, at 11:30  PM, Lynnet Bannion wrote:

> Corn and soy use terrifically high amounts
> of resources for fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides, and many tractor
> runs across the field.

Less every year. You might be surprised at how farming is changing
recently. Half of pesticide use in the US is on one crop, cotton, so I
have read anyway. Something to think about next time you buy a shirt. I
sort of wonder if a polyester shirt doesn't use less petroleum to
produce than a cotton one?

But it is true that the high natural gas prices this year are going to
mean high fertilizer prices next spring. A lot of farmers will have to
cut back, or grain prices will rise.

> Learning how to feed populations locally, with low-resource-cost
> paleo foods, IS the "diet of the future" in my opinion.

I think that is the way things are trending. Maybe not local food, but
maybe lower resource cost food anyway. One way this is happening is
with new GM crops. You can decide for yourself if THAT is a good thing
or not....  ;--)