From:
Kim Tedrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:55:19 EST
In a message dated 3/18/99 7:44:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Bad idea! This is from the Feb 99 issue of Bird Talk
>  Magazine:
<snip>
>  . . .The necropsy  proved that she had choked on a millet
>  husk. I had been storing millet in the freezer in an effort
>  to keep it fresh, but it had dried out the millet instead."

Well, I guess I'm going to disagree with this (I own four cockatiels, and have
bred them).

Let's apply some paleo-thinking to this situation:  Cockatiels (and parakeets)
are desert birds, their native habitat is Austrailia.  They can go for a long
time w/ little water (this is why adding vitamins to their water doesn't
work).  It would be reasonable to assume that they've evolved to handle "dry
seeds".  The sprigs of millet I buy as "treats" for my birds are completely
dried out before I buy them.

And I must say, I almost have seen more rancor and controversy among bird
owners on "proper" bird care than I have on people debating the human food
pyramid.  When all else fails, I try to use common sense.

However, if you still don't want to freeze bird seed, a glass jar or airtight
container that the moths can't eat through would suffice (or buy your birdseed
in small enough quantities so that it isn't even a problem).

Kim