From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:25:32 -0500
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Tom Bridgeland wrote:

> After starting low carb, Atkins style, my cholesterol rose some 25% to
> 250 total. It had been under 200 for a long time. I have no idea what
> the ratio of HDL/LDL was. I plan to have a checkup soon.
>
> So what factors specifically cause a rise in HDL cholesterol?

Saturated fats tend to increase both HDL and LDL.  There is some
evidence that increased dietary protein raises HDL, but not LDL.

> What causes LDL cholesterol to rise?

Either saturated fat, or insulin, and also stress.

> How does one improve the ratio?

A higher-protein diet that is not also high in saturated fat
should be effective.  This, at least, is Cordain's idea.

Todd Moody