From:
Kathy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 20:54:25 -0400
At 12:03 PM 7/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Does anyone have any info about how dangerous raw eggs are? I have recently
>discovered a breakfast I really like but it contains raw eggs.  I try to buy
>fresh, fertile eggs.  I know there is supposed to be some risk of salmonella
>but I wonder how big the risk really is.  After all, I used to eat raw
>cookie dough when I was a kid and Rocky drank raw eggs every day in the
>movie. :-)

According to information I got off the CDC website, in the Northeast,
approximately one in 10,000 eggs may be internally contaminated with
Salmonella enteritidis. In other parts of the US, contaminated eggs seem to
be less common. Eggs become *internally* infected because Salmonella
enteritidis "silently infects the ovaries of healthy appearing hens and
contaminates the eggs before the shells are formed."

I don't eat raw eggs myself, but had wondered what the risk was to my dogs.

Kathy Partridge
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Artworks website: <http://www.borg.com/~atelierk/>
Atelier Golden Retrievers & Goldens Portrayed
Member GRCA, up in central New York