Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 19:29:09 -0400
Barry Adamski wrote:

> I, like Mr. Moody, can not eat unlimited or even until I feel barely
> satisfied food intake on Paleo.  I get very hungry and feel the need to
> consume 4000 to 5000 calories.  I gained weight (10lb) on all unprocessed
> meat and nothing else for a month.  I know that I am the exception on this
> point not the rule.
Somebody probably has pointed this out already, but just in case no one did:

what's important is FAT loss, not weight loss. I have known people (including
myself) that have gone through periods of apparently stable weight when clothes
sizes went down noticeably.  This would indicate that such a person lost fat
but gained lean tissue.  High protein diets are anabolic and might induce one
to put on extra muscle.  The bottom point - forget the scales and watch a
meaningful measure of your fitness (body fat %, clothes fit, etc.)

> I have used the appetite suppression part of this WOE to help me control my
> binges.  I eat around 1900 to 2000 kcal daily (current weight 285) and lost
> 13 pounds in March.  If I could eat more fat I would love to.  I have found
> that by limiting my fat intake to less than 80g per day, my protein intake to
> over 200g per day and my carb intake less than 100 g per day I am on an even
> keel and am losing weight.  I am choosing mostly Paleo foods at this point in
> my weight loss journey.
Ahh, this might explain some things. People who can eat seemingly insane
amounts of calories and not gain weight (I am usually one of them) do so only
when eating virtually no carbs, high fat, and appropriate protein. When I go
up to 4000 or 5000 calories/day it's in the extra fat. My fat calories are
much higher than my protein calories.  You are eating enough carbs and protein
to stay out of ketosis and your calories from things that can convert to glucose
are higher than calories from fat. Try lowering your carbs (I usually keep to
15-20gm/day, and that is counting all carbs, even what you get in nearly carb
free foods such as eggs).  Also, by cutting your calories too low you are slowing
your metabolism down too much and probably setting yourself up for a more
difficult time when you do get down closer to your ideal weight. (I don't
know how tall/muscular you are so can't judge what 285 lbs means for you).

> Everyone is pushing high fat.
It's not really high fat - it's low carbs and appropriate protein.  The rest
comes from fat, which usually means high fat.  The weight loss, however, is
not caused by loading up on fat - it's restiction of carbs, and to some
extent protein (since protein converts to glucose at a fairly high rate,
about 68%, according to Lyle on the low carb list). You should figure out
what your protein needs are and aim for that, lower your carbs, and the
rest comes from fat. Then you might be able to eat more calories and
still lose fat.

Ilya