From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:03:15 -0600
Fawn
> "technically any carbohydrates would only be available for short periods
in a "real" paleo situation (i.e., coming across ripened fruit, ripened
grain heads, etc.)"

Paleo man would no more eat "ripened grain heads" than you'd chomp down on
a nice serving of freshly mown grass.  Grains were rightly considered
starvation food at best.

> " [Body fat] is our own personal and portable pantry."

You've done a nice job of reiterating dominant dietary theory which, as
Todd nicely pointed out, probably should not be abandoned entirely.  Ray
Audette in Neanderthin offers a revolutionary explanation for the body's
retention of fat, one that I had never heard before reading his book.
(I've since been told of at least one other potential source for this
idea).  If you're not familiar with it, here goes: The body considers
grains, dairy and other foods not edible raw as foreign substances that the
body requires protection from.  The main way that's accomplished is by
retaining fat.  Get rid of the offending proteins, the body no longer needs
the fat and weight loss results.

Jim Swayze