From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:42:57 MDT
Listers,

Help!  I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Within 72 hours, I
went
from 'hm, that tooth hurts a little' to excruciating pain, fever (from
infection) and the following verdict from a dentist; tooth is cracked,
pull
it or get a root canal.  (Do NOT argue with this; I was told several
years
ago when the tooth was filled that this would eventually happen.
Pulling my
back tooth, while financially tempting, is probably a bad idea; I'll
have to
pull the top back molar eventually and I use these teeth to chew.)

I'd tried Tylenol and ibuprofin for pain; nada.  He prescribed a
painkiller
that killed the pain, all right, but it has also induced frequent
vomiting.
Insert swear word here.

What can be eaten and kept down?  Traditionally, it's bland carbs.  To
quote
George Bush, Sr., "not gun' doot."  I'm starting to get very hungry
but I'm
not in the mood to eat something just to have it come back to haunt
me.

If I can't get an emergency appointment, I am royally screwed.  I'll
have to
choose between rolling on the floor in pain or vomiting every 20-30
minutes
and this will last for who-knows-how-long; one endodontist said I was
looking at two weeks!  He even demanded I come in for a consultation
and
x-ray despite the fact that the dentist did just that and gave a
referral
less than 24 hours ago.  Time to throw a fit...

Dori Zook
Denver, CO