From:
Batsheva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:28:56 -0800
Hi Diane,

We recently took down a buck, and were able to salvage the ribs, which IMHO, are the best eating on the entire carcass except for the heart and tongue.  The fat coming off these ribs was amazing.  The next morning, the cold leftover ribs had a lot of hardened fat on them, much like you would expect to find from beef.  So, it always makes me laugh when people refer to wild game as "lean".  Native tribes in our area lived off beaver.  The beaver are so fatty that you have to render them slowly for hours.   We also got a wild turkey this fall, and she was loaded with yellow fat around her organs, which I saved,  and kept in the fridge for a week after, using for frying up eggs in the morning.  That fat was sublime.  I think the better the forage for the animal, the more fat they will have.   If you get the animal in the depth of winter, their fat reserves will be less, and hence the animal will be leaner and taste crappier.  That is why we
 hunt in the early fall, after the animals have had months of enjoying lush pasture, lots of nuts and berries to indulge in.   I'm a fat hound, and I guess that is why I raise sheep.  Their fat is the best... especially off the tail.

Warmly,
Batsheva

From: Diane Heath <[log in to unmask]>

I restrict myself to pastured fowl and the rest game meats, primarily wild caught [non-endangered] fish and grass fed buffalo.  During farmers market months it's a rare treat to enjoy elk or yak, and the hearts especially I consider a delicacy, though to our primal ancestors these meals might have been more usual.  Coconut oil is my best friend, however, since I cannot stand the idea of eating raw animal meat products.

Another newbie, enjoying the books of Louis Cordain, Robb Wolff, Ray Audette, and all these very interesting postings,
Diane H.