From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:51:11 -0600
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:55:04 -0600, Ashley Penney <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I've been searching around for a good location to bulk buy meat from
> near Boston, and while I've found a few places I thought I'd see if
> anyone has any suggestions.  I was talking to a friend of mine who
> buys his beef from ranchers direct, and claims to pay about $2 a lb,
> after processing.

That's pretty good, but is it grass fed?

> Do others on the list bulk purchase meat,

We have been buying our red meat in bulk for many years -- started off
buying beef from a local farmer, then switched to buying bison from a
local rancher.  We buy either a half or a whole animal at a time,
depending on the size of the animal.  We pay about $2.50 a pound based on
the hanging weight (which is considerably more than the final processed
weight -- it probably works out to $3.50 or so processed weight, which is
still half what it would cost in the store).

> and does anyone have some good tips on
> saving money because eating a fruit/vegetable/meat diet can get
> expensive quickly!

Plant a garden.  And an orchard.  :-)

Also, shop at farmers' markets.  The produce there is usually better
quality and lower price than the supermarket.

> (The mail prompted by the $40 5lb ham my wife just bought!)

Yikes!

--
   Robert Kesterson