From:
Persephone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:49:57 -0500
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:09:51 -0700, Paula <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Perhaps more info will be available as the protein zonulin that was
>discovered in the mid 90s will be studied more. Zonulin is "permanently
>turned on" in celiacs and type one diabetics and probably in inflammatory
>diseases also. It may also be involved in some mental diseases as zonulin
>also regulates the tight junctions of the blood brain barrier as well as
the
>tight junctions of the intestines. For some interesting reads try a google
>of zonulin.
>Paula

Hi Paula,

I've just finished reading several papers on zonulin and must thank you
again for pointing me towards such fascinating research.

I used to be a complete sceptic about 'leaky gut syndrome' on the basis
that our intestines *had* to be permeable to some degree in order to
function. But having read about zonulin, I'm having to consider changing
my mind.

I find the implications really exciting, but experience has taught me to
be cautious. In the limited time I have to do searches, I've been unable
to find any follow-up studies by any other groups. Researchers at the
University of Baltimore appear to be the only ones working in this field.
Do you know of any similar research being done in other countries?

As you say, zonulin is also thought to regulate the tight junctions of the
blood brain barrier, and this, of course, makes me wonder if this could be
part of the explanation as to why gluten consumption seems to cause
psychiatric problems in so many people.

People with coeliac disease  often suffer from concomitant anxiety and
depression, along with irritability, mood changes and inability to
concentrate. These symptoms are also reported by people who are gluten-
sensitive but not diagnosed as coeliac.

Dr. Fasano is currently promoting the future use of a zonulin inhibitor
peptide called AT-1001, which is known to prevent zonulin from regulating
intestinal permeability which could eventually lead to the development of
an oral medication to arrest autoimmune diseases in the early stages.

Tests are underway and the substance could be used, for example, to allow
coeliacs to eat whatever they pleased. This sounds good, but I doubt if
increased levels of zonulin and even gluten itself are the only problems
with grain-consumption. AT-1001 many not be the whole answer, and, like
most drugs, we must wait and see what the side effects will be.

Cheers,

Persephone