From:
Susan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 00:03:45 -0700
At 12:16 AM 4/8/99 -0400, Caryl wrote:
>Maybe I can add lingonberries to my diet -- but in the US, at
>least, they're always sweetened!

Not _quite_ "always."

The best fruit comes straight from the bush.

I just ordered a lingonberry plant, after seeing one growing in
someone's yard here. In fact, here's the rest of my order:

Qty.    Product #               Variety Description             Price ea.       Total

2                       559                             Jostaberry                                      $7.45           $14.90

1                       451                             Coronet Black Currant    $4.85          $4.85

1                       452                             Crusader Black Currant   $4.85          $4.85

1                       443                             Lingonberry                                     $5.45           $5.45

1                       483                             Cornelian Cherry Dogwood $2.45          $2.45

1                       637                             Fall Gold Raspberry             $2.15           $2.15

1                       652                             Saskatoon                                       $2.65           $2.65

As you can see, it is all small fruit, some of it unconventional, and
the cost is quite modest.

Fortunately, the Oregon climate is perfectly suited for berries of most
kinds. The Saskatoon may find conditions a little warmer than it likes.

I feel that we should do what we can to get our food direct from the
land, and to investigate unusual species, since so much variety has
disappeared from our diets.

SusanK