From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:56:01 -0600
>Todd said:
>> >My desire now is to lose fat, which is why I am
>> >considering various forms of aerobic exercise for some of the
>> >days when I am not strength training.
>
>To which David L. responded:
>>Dropping caloric intake slightly and doing some walking might work.

As I'm sure everyone knows, fat loss is a genetic thing.  For some people, a
mere reduction in caloric intake works.  For others, simply cutting calories
doesn't work; they must pick up the weights and cardio frequency in addition
to reducing calories - plus, they have to account for a few additional
things like T (testosterone) and hGH (human growth hormone), insulin
resistance, thyroid down-regulation, etc...

I fall into the latter category.  Dieting down to a lean % bodyfat is
difficult.  I cut calories down to about 800 per day (mostly from salads),
jog 45 min per day, and perform a full body HIT-type workout once per week.
I find that about every third or fourth day, I throw in a high carb day
because I start looking excessively flat.

My two problems are blunting hunger and doing the cardio.  The latter is
just a matter of willpower.  I have to just motivate myself to do the 45min
of cardio.  The former is also a matter of willpower, but there are a few
tricks.  For me, I have found that ephedrine blunts hunger well.
Decaffeinated coffee when added to a meal helps me attain satiety quicker.

I think thyroid down-regulation is a problem for most, especially if not
enough cardio is being performed.  Insulin resistance is another biggie.  A
good multi (http://www.lef.org), cod liver oil, flax oil, a good whey
protein, etc will help.  Smaller meals helps too.

As far as T and hgh, I think having hormones at an optimum level is very
helpful.  I'm a huge fan of T and hGH replacement therapy for andropausal
men.  I also believe in progesterone and hGH replacement therpay for
menopausal women.  The hGH isn't cheap, but the T usually is reasonable, and
downright cheap if your insurance will cover it.  If your doctor is against
hormone replacement therapy, then get a new doctor!  If you got money and
don't need the insurance to cover it, then http://www.newhopemed.com is a
good place to get a script.

Justin