From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:54:13 -0500
One of the sad truths of trying to truly eat paleo is that it is necessary
to forego almost all prepared foods.  On the other hand, you can make your
own beef broth by boiling some bones and adding some sea salt.  This is a
much healthier alternative; it's actually good for you.  One definite
benefit:  it helps your digestion.  I made a bunch of soup awhile back, and
while it lasted, my system was in the best shape I can ever remember.

Anyone who is interested in really eating paleo needs to become a label
detective.  It's necessary to read and re-read every word on the label on
anything you're thinking of buying.  What you'll find is that there is
little in a jar or a box that is not contaminated in some way.  It's
unfortunate, but if you're really interested in doing it right, you'll have
to invest some time in preparing your own foods.

Having said that, I'd also like to say that I don't mean to be
discouraging.  Any attempt is better than nothing.  But try to avoid all
the contaminants for a week or two and I know you'll notice the
difference...  Every time I've gotten lazy and bought prepared foods I've
paid for it with varying degrees of gastrointestinal distress.

Take care,
John
>Also I've found some beef broth and
>chicken broth in the store (Kitchen Basics) which list real chicken or
beef
>stock, salt, natural flavors, carrots, onion, celery, bay leaf, thyme, and
>peppercorn as it's ingredients.

Do realize that natural flavors has hydrolyzed protein and MSG in it. I
doubt you will find any commerical broth that doesn't have this as an
ingredient. All food chemicals are un-paleo.