From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:15:00 -0600
D L Thompson wrote:

> I've tried the paleo nut "bread" with pecan flour and other nut flours
> (and
> tapioca, egg, and honey), but over time my neck and shoulder muscles
> became
> stiff and painful.  I seem to remember reading once that chestnuts are
> substantially different from pecans, walnuts, etc., and I'm considering
> trying the same recipe with chestnut flour.

chestnuts are much higher in carbs and lower in fat than other nuts.
Chestnut flour makes absolutely wonderful crepes, with egg, and
doesn't need honey.  But it's not a low-carb food.

> Could anyone guess as to why I can't tolerate berries and nuts, and
> tell me
> whether or not chestnuts might be a different story?

Celiacs (I am one) tend to get sensitivities to other foods due to "leaky
gut" from the small intestine damage caused by the gluten.  I can't
really tolerate
nuts either, and feel better when I don't eat them.  If I do eat them,
pretty
soon I'm eating them by the bagful (a sure sign of sensitivity for me).

Another aspect of most nuts is the high Omega 6 content, encouraging
inflammatory activity.  Chestnuts, having less fat, would have less
of that effect.  You could try them, cutting out other nuts, and see
what happens.

    Lynnet