From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:43:51 +0000
On Jan 18, 2006, at 5:33 pm, Todd Moody wrote:
> First, keep in mind that fruits contain a blend of sugars, one of
> which is fructose.  So, depending on the fruit, you'll get glucose
> and sucrose as well.  And sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide
> that is half glucose and half fructose.  The proportions of sugars
> vary among different fruits.
>
> Fructose is readily converted to triglyceride, so consuming a lot
> will push TG levels up.  But yes, fruit won't necessarily kick you
> out of ketosis as fast, if it's your goal to stay in ketosis.

Todd

I SERIOUSLY over-ate on fruit this week.  I bought a bag of apples, a
bag of pears and a pack of prunes.  My mum bought another bag of
pears, another bag of apples, 3 sharon fruits, a pineapple and two
papayas.  I think I needed the toilet about 5 times just before
dinner today...

I plan to cut out fruit for a few weeks so I can start running off
fat properly.  I actually prefer that in winter, living off a few
roots and brassicas.  Cauliflower and parsnips I find very
"warming".  It's hard though.  My mum's convinced that a human being
needs a minimum of 15 pieces of fruit daily to avoid starvation and
death.

> Of course, you want insulin for other purposes too, such as general
> anabolic processes.  It's needed to get amino acids into cells for
> muscle building.  That's why some type 1 diabetics are very gaunt
> and unable to build muscle.

I might pick your brains about this if you don't mind - as something
similar affects me personally.  I don't know if it's a topic you know
much about but you seem to know everything else :D

Long-winded introduction first:  I self-diagnosed milk intolerance
about two years ago, which had caused increasing fatigue since I was
a teenager.  I had several symptoms of adrenal fatigue by this time
(such as... excessive sweating from exercise - ie low blood sugar,
skin that was mainly very oily but with dry patches, cold hands and
feet).

I was also very weak as a child.  I was the only boy at school that
couldn't climb a rope, although I could run fast.  I assume these
changes were because my blood was soaked in stress hormones 24/7.
Now I'm long off milk and eating a strict paleo diet I'm improving
slowly.  I don't get lightheaded during exercise any more - I
remember last year I was doing yoga and if I hadn't eaten within a
few hours I'd get very dizzy.  Tonight I did about 90mins of martial
arts training after an 18 hour fast and felt reasonably ok.

But... despite my training I'm still staying thin.  A lot of people
comment how thin I look, although a lot of the muscle I have is
masked by the fact I'm tall and have thin bones.  I've certainly
increased in size since I started paleo but not dramatically.  I know
a lot of people my age with twice as much muscle as me despite
sitting on the sofa eating pizza all night every night.

I have read that insulin resistance often follows adrenal fatigue
(because extra insulin is released to try and force what little blood
sugar is available into the muscles), but I hadn't read that some
type-1 diabetics are often gaunt because of insulin resistance.  So
do you think I could still be suffering insulin resistance?  I'm sure
I'm still suffering a degree of adrenal fatigue- my eyes still have
very dark rings, my body is still much colder than most people's, and
I still get occasional morning hunger pangs (down from every single
day to mild ones ever other day or so).  I'm not sure I will every
fully recover from my symptoms, but fortunately I caught them before
they got too bad.  I'm more immediately concerned with trying to
explain all the processes that have gone wrong in me, as my situation
is aparently quite common today.

Thanks for your time as ever

Ashley