From:
Doug Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 14:05:34 -0700
Karl, at some point I'll review Power Law but until then I can't respond
(my instinct, low and behold, has been wrong before) to been antithetical.
I have found, though, that instinct is a great starting point.

>not being random enough can mess you up.

Sure, Karl, too much of anything may, in time, become counter productive.
Now, how do you determine the point of diminishing returns? Diminishing
returns is, in effect, what you are implying.

>eat dolemite, but that's not very good.

It's calcium! Oh-quantity, purity. ;-)

>to get what you want in a hunter-gatherer system unless you overhunt and
>exterminate stuff

Nomads may be a better term then Indians

>What you (believe) you know might be wrong.

Right! That's why so much is based on faith and that is what makes our
species so great. Search, think, analyse, deduce, conclude and then go back
to search. Just look at all those diet ideas out there. Not one can be
proven, conclusively, to be right, not one. So, we take the plunge. Then,
what happens? Next idea please.

>I just don't trust the idea of "three square meals a day, no mater
>which polygon is used in place of square."

Be carefull, math theories are continuously advancing.