From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 17:55:08 +1100
Much of it is related to lead poisoning. Excellent references to demonstrate
this are below. This is pure science, no exaggeration.
Crowding in areas where leaded petrol is used leads very quickly to higher
atmospheric lead and to increased blood lead levels. Lead in children is
extremely strongly associated with antisocial and delinquent behaviour.
These children have been followed up longitudinally from preschool to jail.
Thankfully the USA has addressed the lead issue very well.  Other countries
are a long way behind. Now the USA is rewarded by a big drop in violent
crime.
Refs:
1/ Rachel's Environment & Health Weekly no's 529,318,294,214,189,3.
http://www.monitor.net/rachel/rehw-index.html
2/ Needleman, Herbert L. et al, "Bone Lead Levels and Delinquent Behavior,"
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION Vol. 275, No. 5 (February 7,
1996), pgs. 363-369
3/ Committee on Environmental Health, American Academy of Pediatrics, "Lead
Poisoning: From Screening to Primary Prevention," PEDIATRICS Vol. 92 (July
1993), pgs. 176-183
4/ Alan L. Mendelsohn, Benard P. Dreyer, Arthur H. Fierman, Carolyn M.
Rosen, Lori A. Legano, Hillary A. Kruger, Sylvia W. Lim, and Cheryl D.
Courtlandt "Low-Level Lead Exposure and Behavior in Early Childhood"
Pediatrics 1998; 101: e10. http://intl.pediatrics.org/content/vol101/issue3/
PEDIATRICS often has articles on lead poisoning.