From:
"C. ten Broeke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:46:50 +0100

>And just for the record, Amadeus looks pretty good, as I remember from his
>photo.  But wait, is that allowed here?  To actually say a VEGETARIAN looks
>healthy and fit and strong........  I can feel the list swell with rancor in
>their response..

Giggle Judy, in a way you confirm my not very scientific observations.
 Build in our genes must be something very conservative.  Even the most
openminded, alternative people (like us ;-) tend to get conservative in
their thoughts when it comes to defending their ideas.  If we know for
sure that the way we live is right,  then why are we so worked up when
someone tells us the other way?  Are we concerned for his/her wellbeing?
 Can we somewhat doubt within if we are really sure and does it strike a
nerve?
I  hope for sure that I know the truth and can choose to live by it or
not, that is,  until you show me something better and I know I have to
let go of my ideas....
This not scientific observation is based on real life as we know it!

>I also have a problem with the assertion that  very young kids & babies  left
>to their own, will nourish themselves perfectly.  I've seen  breast fed
>toddlers,  raised on 100% natural, whole foods try to drink  kerosene, whole
>pint size jars of cod liver oil,  automobile antifreeze and gnaw on the
>family car keys ( AND DON"T TELL ME THE KID MUST HAVE NEEDED EXTRA MINERALS
>IN HIS DIET).    Who are the people that write these books, what reality do
>they occupy  and what planet to they really come from???????????????????????

For a lot of reasons people are doing about anything they can to make
life easier. Living in the world today is not a very easy task.
Eventhough we have all facilities and safeguards we can imagine, life
has become so complicated we try to limit responsibilities where we can
(generally speaking, don't bite my head off please).  Reading a book
that tells you toddlers can be left on their own and will sort things
out for themselves is unbelieveble to me. My neighbour told me when I
saw her youngest nearly fall out of the high chair, she would work out
her own balance and not fall.  Her natural ability of estimating the
situation would prevent her from getting into real danger.  Needless to
say the kid has been in and out hospital with little accidents all the time.
We have swimming lessons because our ancestors drowned if they fell into
the river. They build walls around the wells to stop kids falling in. So
how the frell can anyone think kids should work it out for themselves?
Teaching them responsibility yes, encouraging and stimulating their
senses yes, helping them discover the world yes but just having them do it ?
What happened to responsibility?
Ok off the soapbox now ;-)

Christy from the Netherlands