From:
Gregg Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 00:35:08 -0400
Lisa, Don, Hans, and Aaron-- thanks for your input.  Lisa, my weak
multi-vitamin/multi-minineral supplement (KAL Body Defense Multiple) has
the RDA of vitamin D, so I don't take any extra; plus, my daily exercise
routine usually takes me outside and exposes me to a good chunk of
sunlight, even though I live in the North (Rhode Island).

Aaron, thanks for the phone number to get the flour.  I may give them a
try.  For me, a strict caveman die (no grain; no dairy) did wonders in
helping me shed body fat and weight.  But now that I am fairly lean--as I
have brought up before--I am finding difficulty in refueling my muscles
after intense exercise without grains.  I am going to start
experimenting with the reintroduction of a modest amount of grain into
my diet. My compromise is to go both yeast- and gluten-free, as well as go
totally organic and to make my own "flat" bread (including grinding my own
grain just before cooking).  I made my first batch last night: 1 cup
amaranthus, 1 cup millet, 1 cup quinoa, 1 cup brown rice, 1/2 of each of
the following ground seeds/nuts:  sesame, sunflower, walnut, almond, flax;
2 egg whites.  I stirred in spring water until it had the consistency of
cake batter.  I then baked it in a glass cake-pan (coated with a tad of
olive oil) at 400 degress for 40 minutes, letting it "cool" in the oven
with a closed door over night.  The results-- a tasty, chewy, flatbread
[though my wife would charaterize it as "hockey puck" bread! :o) ]. I put
a dollup of almond butter on 2 slices tonight-- and loved it.  Tomorrow,
I'm doing a 9 mile run in the morning, and I'll see how I fare.

I'm going to test my flatbread using Arthur Coca's "pulse test" to see how
my body reacts on that plane.  My resting pulse is 42, goes up to maybe 50
if I'm stressin' out during the day.  For those of you unfamiliar
with Coca, according to him, if one's pulse increases 6 beats or more
after consuming a food (measurements taken before and 30", 60", and 90"
after consumption), it's a sign that the food is acting as an allergen--
and should be avoided. Of course, if I do get the bump up in pulse rate,
then I'll try the test on each of the ingredients individually.   Does
anyone have any thoughts on the "pulse test?"

p.s. A note on "confusion" about science . . . most anyone will
continually be confused if he/she compares one study, to the next, to the
next . . . quite often, one will see contradictory findings.  What you
should be looking for is a pattern in the findings across studies.  With,
for example, several hundred studies (mostly on animals) on vitamin E
being published in peer-reviewed journals every year, one can pull out a
handful that will support just about anything you want to say about its
effects.  What matters is the distribution of the findings (compared
across studies). Thus, for example, if 6 studies revealed that vitamin E
had harmful effects (say, e.g., on blood pressure), 3 revealed beneficial
effects, and 245 revealed no effects, then the conclusion one should make
is rather obvious.  [Of course, some studies should be given more weight
than others-- perhaps most importantly a prospective, double-blind study
on humans involving a large sample size, randomized assignment to test and
control groups, ideally using a random sample of the population.  If this
last sentence makes no sense to you, please ignore it!  :o) ].  The
scientific method is the most beautiful creation that the human mind has
ever produced.

Cheers!

Gregg C.