From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 18:23:31 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

>Mary wrote:
>>Except for Irish and other Celts. I think Don or someone said that Celtic
>>people have had  wheat only very recently (relative to some  other
>>populations)  and have a very high rate of gluten intolerance (and also
>>schizophenia)
>Who sais (or has references) that celts had a "high rate of gluten
>intolerance and schizophenia"??
>I'd like to underline that Celts are *not* just Irish or some "late
>developpers"

I have never used the word Celtic. I pointed out that the Romans spread
agriculture throughout their empire, but places they didn't conquer:
Scotland, Ireland, and at least parts of Scandinavia, didn't start
agriculture until afterwards. That means these place have had agriculture
for less than 2,000 years. Germans have probably been growing grains for
5,000 years.

One article on this is:

From the Neolithic Revolution to Gluten Intolerance: Benefits and Problems
Associated with the Cultivation of Wheat, by Luigi Greco

  http://www.celiac.com/history.html#Intolerant

But a better one is:

Lutz, W.J., "The Colonisation of Europe and Our Western Diseases", Medical
Hypotheses, Vol. 45, pages 115-120, 1995

which due to copyright issues can't be put on the web or sent out a mailing
list. I can privately mail it to people that *privately* e-mail me and ask
for it.

Don.