From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:39:46 -0500
You also have to remember that in each population of animals, there is a
genetic variety, so that there are animals that, unlike others, can handle
some things better than others.  It is easy for the population to shift
towards those animals.  So, as humans began eating more grains, the humans
that could handle grains began adding to the population disproportionately,
and eventually most of that population could digest and metabolize grains
better.
Grains and milk (as you say) were not completely foreign to humans.  Grains
must have been eaten to some degree, or else they never would have started
to evolve into better and more useful plants.  Grains were in the stomachs
of animals, the contents of which were eaten.  Certainly they could digest
small amounts of grains, and some in the population could handle more than
others.