From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:12:14 -0500
> >About a month ago I started carbing up the night before I played.  I saw
an
> >immediate and dramatic improvement in energy levels.  I wouldn't think
> about
> >playing now without building up my glycogen levels.  My carb of choice is
> >rice which I know is not paleo but at least I'm not allergic to it and
have
> >noticed no Ill effects...

There's a lot of paleo foods to eat to maintain glycogen levels. I had the
most trouble on paleo when I was low carb paleo, because I find it
unpleasent to be in ketosis and don't think it is particularly desirable in
most cases either, as it is a stress on the body. I think paleo peoples
would have eaten considerable amounts of roots and tubers even when fruit
was unavailable.

I eat two meals during the day that are very low carb, all protein and fat.
Then for dinner I eat a meal that contains something like a bit of rice
(occasionally -- and BTW wild rice would qualify as paleo I think), turnip,
sweet potato, yam, winter squash. This helps me like nothing else avoid
cravings. I will eat half a yam or sweet potato, or several turnips, or
perhaps 1/4 or 1/2 of an acorn squash or butternut squash, depending upon
the size.

Fruit does not do it for me, and some on this list have said the reason is
that fructose does not replenish glycogen stores.

I really try to take in some significant paleo carbs at dinner, because if I
don't, I will get cravings the next day and end up eating the junk that my
family has around the house!

I think this is a moderate carb approach, probably around 100 grams per day
or so, and without it I can't stay on a paleo diet.

--Richard