From:
"T. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 14:28:46 -0700
Susan Carmack wrote:

> I don't use
> >sunscreen much any more, just limit the amount of time I am in the sun.
>
> Imagine, we have been blaming the sun (the source of Life) for skin cancer.

Just because the sun provides energy for life on earth doesn't mean it can't
be harmful in extremes. People die of exposure in the desert all the time. You
can't look at their corpses and say that the sun couldn't have done it, because
it is the source of life.

> Skin cancer is caused by diet.

Maybe, but it is also clear that it is caused by the sun, when taken in excess
by Europeans whose skin is quite different than that of paleolithic Africans.
And even paleolithic Africans would have known that the shade offers relief
in the afternoon!

> It is only those with lowered immune systems
> due to eating grains and refined everything that get skin cancer.

Maybe, but I doubt there's direct evidence of this.