From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 00:13:26 -0700
Hi Ashley,
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:07 AM you said:

> Hmm, I feel like that too, most of the time in fact.  But I
> don't eat out often enough that it's a problem.  Usually I
> can find something that's close enough to paleo that I'll
> eat, failing that I have no issue with not eating, unless I'm
> drinking.  I find that when there's a mixture of paleo and
> non-paleo foods around, everyone eats the sandwiches and mini
> pizzas before the chicken drumsticks and salad.

My problem is that I react quite violently to even very small amounts
of gluten or dairy (except butter)

> It just got warm here in the UK and (like every summer) my
> appetite for mashed root veg has been replaced by an appetite
> for fruit and chilled salad.  So if I was going to go low low
> low carb now would be the time.

Actually, fruit and most salad ingredients would not be compatible with
a ketogenic diet.

> Incidentally, does anyone else get a really dramatic change
> in appetite in hot weather?

I do. I want fewer fats and more carbs. In the winter that reverses.

> > Deep ketosis seems to halt reproduction of cancer cells in
> most types
> > of cancer.
>
> Do you know if the cancer will die off?  Or will it just
> remain at its current size indefinitely?

Well, the diet won't kill the tumour. It only slows growth to the point
where the immune system may (or may not) be able to keep up. In the
human and animal cases I've read about the growth was slowed in some,
stopped in others, and complete remission occurred in others. The remissions
may have been the immune system's work, but if so, why did the immune system
fail to catch and destroy the cancer cells before they had developed into a
tumour?
Best Wishes,
Ron