From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:47:28 -0500
On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:31:22 -0800, Mike MacLeod <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Presumably the high level of fibre in oats has some buffering effect.  It
>probably doesn't take too much reading between the lines to pick up that
>I'm missing my oats now that the cold weather has set in...hey, maybe it's
>a Scots thing.
>
>Mike (MacLeod)

Not only Scots.
Oat is beeing attributed the food of the "north" (including any northern
shore, where it's anchestors grow wild).
It is said to encourage northern "choleric" temperament.
It has more fat than any of the 7 usual grains, 7 percent.
And more fat than wild game of temperate climates therefore.

It's carbs are fructose to a high extent. More similar to fruit.
It has been presrcibed against yeast and other "carb" maladies.
It has been recommended by (saint) Hildegard von Bingen (of 12th century)
and described to be mood elevating.

It isn't to be soaked overnight, unlike other cereal grains.

Quite different properties of these ancient natural grains,
unlike the boring, modern breed, problem loaden modern "wheat".

Oats.

Cheers, Amadeus