From:
Wally Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 00:30:24 -0500
On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:46:21 EST Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> grain.  Eating very low carb leads to cravings and/or ketosis, and
> in my opinion is not healthy--or at least not ideal.  (I realize that
> Eskimos eat like this.)

I don't know where you got hold of the misinformation that caused you to
form these opinions, but you could not be more wrong.

Claiming that lowcarb causes cravings is as ridiculous as claiming that
giving up drinking causes alcoholism...  Yes, if carbohydrates are a
problem for someone, then the process of eliminating them from the diet
can be briefly uncomfortable, but so is getting "clean" from any
addiction.

As for "ketosis," what's your problem with that?  It is merely the state
where ketones are present in the bloodstream.  What are ketones, and why
would they be there?  Ketones are the end product of the process of the
body reconverting stored fat into useable energy (that's a GOOD
thing...).  Ketones are produced when fat is reconverted for ANY reason,
whether it's because of a low carbohydrate diet, a low fat/calorie
starvation diet, or actual starvation conditions.

The ketones are the actual fuel used by MOST body functions under these
conditions, and any amount over the body's immediate needs are shed
through the lungs, through perspiration, and in the urine.  The
transportation system for these ketones, as for any other fuel for the
body is the bloodstream.  Measurable amounts of ketones in the
bloodstream is "ketosis."  Without this system, stored fat would be
useless, and we would immediately have to cannibalize out own muscles for
energy in the absence of food, and would die in a very short time.

During actual starvation, a small amount of muscle WILL be converted even
when fat is being converted, but only because protein can more readily be
converted to glucose to support those few body functions which can not
use the ketones for fuel.  This is the reason that actual lowcarb diets
(paleo or not) stress the need for maintaining adequate protein intake.
The absence of dietary carbohydrates induces the utilization of stored
fat, while the intake of adequate dietary protein prevents the
cannibalization of muscle tissue.  Together, this makes for a powerful,
safe, and effective combination.

As Ray points out, "paleo" does not necessarily have to be "lowcarb," but
under realistic paleo conditions, it would work out to be so most of the
time in most locations.  Still, he allows that a considerable amount of
paleo legal carbs can be consumed and tolerated *IF* a person is not
trying to lose considerable amounts of excess stored fat.  If there is a
need to shed much excess fat, then even the legal carbs will probably
need to be
restricted.
The Lowcarb FAQ!  http://home.talkcity.com/TechnologyWay/wallyb
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!