From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 15:22:02 -0500
Most raw, palaeolithic dieters eat raw vegetables in relatively small quantities. They mostly avoid the more inedible ones like broccoli. These largely inedible vegetables, not coincidentally, have rather high antinutrient levels - of course, one can cook them in order to remove the antinutrients to some extent, but the process of cooking generates heat-created toxins and destroys enzymes/bacteria, so most rawpalaeos don't bother and just avoid them as they would rather go for higher quality raw foods instead - besides, raw vegetables are pretty bland in taste so are difficult to overindulge in, unless juiced. In my own case, I occasionally eat raw carrots, raw cucumbers, raw salads, raw radishes, raw onions, raw garlic, raw seaweed,  raw sauerkraut, and that's pretty much it. Otherwise I eat raw meats/raw organ-meats mainly along with some raw fruits, occasional raw honeycomb and very occasional raw (presoaked) nuts and raw mushrooms.

Non-rawpalaeo raw-meat-eaters, such as Primal Dieters, will often go in for raw veggie-juices (with added sweeteners such as raw cream or raw honey  so as to cover up the revolting taste) but this is a very bad idea, and many rawists have complained of side-effects from drinking too much of the stuff. The idea is that while juicing allows the shredding of the cell-walls without the harm done by cooking, thus releasing more nutrients, that that same shredding also releases lots of antinutrients as well, causing nutritional deficiencies in the long term.

As regards raw fruit, I know someone from the Phillipines and he has pointed out that where he lives in the tropics, he can get fruit all year round. Part of the problem is that in developed countries most of the forests/plant biomass have been wiped out or excessively"over-managed" by foresters so that current availability of wild fruit per square km  is much, much less than it would have been in the past.

And, yes, most rawpalaeodieters are relatively low-carb.But that can be anywhere from 35% raw plant foods(the most popular variation) as part of one's diet to 0% for the raw, zero-carbers. The only exception are the Instinctos and the Wai Diet adherents, many of whom favour a diet much higher in raw carbs.

Geoff

For the raw paleo people..
What vegetables do you eat? I really only like lettuce, cucumbers, carrots
and maybe a few others raw. The raw cruciferous ones are practically
inedible to me.  When I was vegan I used to force myself to choke down raw
broccoli etc. I found out later that it has goitrogens that get inactivated
by cooking.  Fruit also would not have probably been eaten year round and
certainly not the sweet stuff we get today.
It seems like raw paleo would lend itself to lower carb which I strive for
anyways.
David