Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 22:48:17 -0500
"C. Loon" wrote:

> Over on the PCO support list, where most people eat low-carb in one
> fashion or another (e.g. Atkins, CAD, the Zone), people continually urge
> each other to drink, drink, drink lots of water - at least eight 8 oz
> glasses per day. We all know the benefits - hydration, flushing out
> ketones and other toxins, aid to digestion, etc.  But I keep wondering -
> When did we start needing so much water? It seems hard to imagine
> paleopeople as having access to all that much water every day, especially
> if they were nomadic and were often looking for water sources. Were they
> suffering in continual dehydration?Or do we really not need that much
> liquid? I know when I go camping, I drink much less than usual, because
> it's a pain to lug all that extra water that is also needed for washing
> and cooking. In winter it'd be even more difficult.
Not sure how much of this advice is a requirement for survival. I know
recommend to those on low carb to drink lots of water, but for a
different
reason. When low carbing you are often in ketosis. Once ketosis
reaches
a high enough level you stop burning fat. By drinking more water you
get
rid of extra ketones and continue to burn fat. The other reason is
that
you often don't feel thirsty and may drink less than you really need
to.
I personally take extra supplements and water helps me get rid of
those
I don't need.

Ilya