Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:34:25 -0700
<<I'll admit that technology presents some
diificulties, however I think that it is incorrect to
argue that technology is inherently BAD.  >>
Thomas,
I never said that technology was bad.  I was refering
to your attack on Anna's innocent comment of a
interesting movie.  How you got to reductionism from
her statement of a movie that she thought some of us
may like baffled me.  My point was that **any** idea,
belief, etc.. can be construed as bad, depending on
your perspective.  I don't think technology is bad,
nor do I think that reductionism is bad either.  It is
what you do with them that counts.  Personally, I
would like to become more self-reliant, where
possible.  That is not to say I am going to abandon my
home and go live in a cave and eat what I can find or
kill. Technology can be useful, as you pointed out.
It is not technology that is bad, it is how it is
used.  Getting back to the basics is not bad either,
as long as you are not looking at it through rose
colored glasses, pining for the good ol' days when
life was so much simpler (cue the violins).  Can't we
all just try and get along, and place principles above
personalities?  We are all entitled to our beliefs,
feelings, thoughts and opinions, no matter how much
they may clash with someone elses (right or wrong they
may be).  As they said in the good ol' days - honey
will catch more flies in vingegar.  If you want to get
the message across, put down the sledgehammer and get
out the feather, people may be more apt to take you
seriously.
I hope all of you on this list will do as I do with
your posts:  take what you like and leave the rest.
Jane
p.s.  sorry for the double posting, ahhh technology,
that double edged sword!! <VBG>