From:
Jose Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:40:09 -0500
Hi William:

One initial question, if I may: Are you William Schnell?

I knew a certain William Schnell in another group, and if I remember well,
he is/was very much into raw foods. I noticed similar points between you
and him, so that I was asking myself: could it be the same person?
Although, honestly speaking, William Schnell was rather more laconic than
you.

You say: "My experience is that raw requires less of those, and a better
physical function includes support for the brain."

This is in part true, at least for me. Unless I did it wrong or my system
was not ready yet, eating a lot of raw foods (not even all raw) demanded a
lot of work from my digestory system. I usually chew my food well, but I
can't spend all of my meal time chewing, and I don't like to use food
processors or juicers to spare inner digestion, if you see what I mean.
I'd rather use cooking. The brain, in my opinion, wants foods easy to
digest and of course good-quality proteins and fats. Some of the latter
can be raw, but if all is raw the brain will be asked to digest it, as
well, side by side with stomach, and of course this is dysfunctional. For
the brain. And don't forget the environment: if you are living on an
island in the middle of the Pacific, where there is a lot of dancing and
singing, and no taxes to pay, then it's perfect to go onto all raw.

You also say: "I use the Norse definition of human, which means
approximately "great of heart and mind" and the intent is to imitate as
much as possible the state of paleolithic man."

This is fine, William. Can you please tell me your source? Does it comes
from Norse mythology? I've read a bit of it, but found it to be less
attractive and less humane than the Greco-Roman version. It's possible
that "human" comes from "humus" (earth), so it's rather surprising to see
that Norsemen entertained such an elevated opinion of man himself. This
appears to be rather too idealistic. I'd rather think that man is most of
the time a lowly (I don't mean evil) creature, and this would apply even
to our remote ancestors, mutatis mutandis, but he can of course, with some
training and willpower, raise his head above the powder. I don't know if
he needs to retrace his steps to paleo to do that.

Sorry, this is no longer about food anyway.

JC